Student Profile: Sofia


Sofia, Kennett High School Class of 2018, now attends West Chester University for public health. She plans to have a career in maternal and child health.

Sofia shares, "Chester County Futures is not just a program to help students with college, but also to help and motivate them to succeed in school prior to graduating. They always stayed on top of us about our grades and it made me feel good to make my coordinator of that year proud. CCF gives students the push to go to college. They let us know it is okay. We are here every step of the way. Students are exposed to college campuses from the start. They want us to see what we can achieve at the end of this program. They make college happen.

This program is important because of the relationships you form, and the motivation you endure. When you become comfortable with the staff and are able to open up to them, they learn how to individually help you. There was always a close relationship with each coordinator. You build these bonds that are never broken. I know that if I needed someone I could contact one of my coordinators for help with classes or financial aid, or even just to talk. You also start to motivate yourself a bit more, setting goals and pushing yourself to the next level. The staff cares and that is what makes Chester County Futures special.

I was able to enroll in a university full time. I went through a recent event that affected my family and me. The staff at Chester County Futures and my school mentor Loretta Perna helped me with my decision. If I would not have had the guidance of CCF and Mrs. Perna and have decided not to become a full-time student, I would have regretted that decision. Through Chester County Futures, I was also able to be assigned a mentor, where I met my lovely mentor Lisa Sands. She also offered further guidance in my decisions for my future. She took me on more college visits and really focused on me and what I wanted to do and helped me figure out how I would go about to do it.

I want to give a special thanks to Ms. Kate who really is the best. She was always there for me, whether I needed someone to hug or someone to make me laugh. Thank you so much Ms. Kate.
I also want to show my appreciation for my mother for being the rock of the family. She always believes in me and always wants the best for me. She lets me know that she is proud of me when I didn’t feel it myself. She tries her hardest to understand what I have to do for college and that effort I appreciate. So thank you for being my rock and number one supporter."

Chester County Futures is excited to take part in #GivingTuesday an international day of giving to kickoff the holiday season.This year the Phoenixville Community Health Foundation will match up to $2,000 from new donors! This means your donation could go twice as far to provide academic support, mentoring, and opportunity for motivated, economically disadvantaged students! Help them to succeed in school, higher education, and life. Be the change you want to see in the world- make your gift today and give us a head start on tomorrow!

Comments

Popular Posts